Read more here about the mission of the center, its history, and its scope, as well as our position within UCLouvain.
CEFISES is comprised of three faculty members, two emeritus professors, and numerous post-doctoral and doctoral researchers.
The members of CEFISES are involved in a wide variety of current and former research projects, which you can discover here.
- CfP: Integrating the History and Philosophy of BiodiversityNarratives of Diversity, Extinction, Conflict and Value CEFISES faculty Dr Charles Pence and PhD student Max Bautista Perpinyà are organizing a conference entitled Integrating the History and Philosophy of Biodiversity. Narratives of Diversity, Extinction, Conflict and Value, to take place in Brussels on October 20 and 21*, 2023. The conference aims to bring together scholars… Continue reading CfP: Integrating the History and Philosophy of Biodiversity
- Extra CEFISES Seminar: Zach Weber (Logic & Philosophy)On Friday 16/12, we have the honor to have Zach Weber from New-Zealand over for a talk at the CEFISES logic&philosophy seminar on paraconsistent logic. Everybody interested (students, researchers, non-academic philosophers, …) is more than welcome! The talk will be accessible for a broad philosophically interested audience. Speaker: Zach Weber (University of Otago, New Zealand)… Continue reading Extra CEFISES Seminar: Zach Weber (Logic & Philosophy)
- CfA: From Science to Metaphysics?The CfA for the fourth OLOFOS Workshop (From Science to Metaphysics? On the use of scientific knowledge and practices in order to propose an ontology of nature) is open until December 21st, 2022. From Science to Metaphysics? On the use of scientific knowledge and practices in order to propose an ontology of nature is the theme… Continue reading CfA: From Science to Metaphysics?
- CfA: Mechanisms and Ontic Causation in Life SciencesThe CfA for the second MeCauLife Group Workshop (Mechanisms and Ontic Causation in Life Sciences) is open until February 1st, 2023. Mechanisms and Ontic Causation in Life Sciences is the theme of the 2nd workshop of the MeCauLife group. It will take place on June 15-16 2023 in Louvain-la-Neuve (Belgium) at the Institut supérieur de philosophie… Continue reading CfA: Mechanisms and Ontic Causation in Life Sciences
- Post-Darwinian Societies Seminar, 2022–2023In collaboration between CEFISES (Charles Pence) and the Chaire Hoover d’éthique économique et sociale (Gregory Ponthière), we’re continuing last year’s series of talks on the theme of Post-Darwinian Societies. The goal of the Post-Darwinian Societies Seminar is to bring together researchers from various disciplines – including, but not limited to, philosophy, social sciences, economics, history… Continue reading Post-Darwinian Societies Seminar, 2022–2023
- CFP: ExLog 2022The ExLog conference, hosted by the research group of Peter Verdée, will be taking place again this year from 12–14 July, 2022. Check out more information, including the list of invited speakers and the call for papers, on the conference website here!
Keep in Touch
With more and more of our events taking place either online or in a hybrid in-person/online format, you can see a number of recent talks and conference presentations (both given by center members and at CEFISES) on our YouTube channel. Like, comment, and subscribe!
You can follow updates from CEFISES both on Twitter @cefises and on Facebook via the page for the Institut supérieur de philosophie at UCLouvain.